Next week I turn 52. I’m proud to tell people my age now. It doesn’t matter anymore because the older I get, the less I know, the easier it is to be me and the more curious I am about who I am becoming. Life is an evolution ~ and when you get up ‘here’ I find it’s about disentagling belief systems and stepping out with greater courage each and every day. So, next week, I’ll post about what I discovered over the last few months but thought I’d amuse myself by re-reading this post from two years ago because I am certainly a different person now!!~~~ KEEP SMILING, Laura
Turning 50 is Powerful and filled with inner wisdom for Women! I was excited and have been for awhile for this birthday! I’m not one to put too much credence into birthdays but this one ~ very different.
Yes, they are a nice reason to gather together to have fun but typically, to me, it’s just another bday on the calendar. 18 was good…21 was an eye-opener….30 meant not much to me….39 I felt OLD. But, 50? Well, I just feel downright GREAT! I found things to and planned other things to celebrate it ~ a dinner with a friend I had not seen in over 30 years, a wonderful evening with my man-friend, time with my family, seeing old mentors of mine, lunch with a dear friend and an evening of music with my favorite performer. If I had not done so, I probably would have been disappointed.
But knowing what you want is a powerful thing. It comes from deep within and allows you to step forward with action and into success. Doing what you want, with understanding of your inner wisdom and a compassionate heart, creates a vision of the world that is filled with Joy & Abundance. That’s what I’ve learned in the past 5 decades. I’ve learned what I want and how to move forward to reach it while respecting and observing the hearts of others.
It comes down to this: 5 things I’ve learned in the last 5 decades of life.
1) Family First ~ your family will always be there for you if you put them first. At the end of the day, it is these people that will gather around you to lift you up and, if you are fortunate, to compassionately show you ways to be a better person. They are the one’s who will ultimately be by your side through thick and thin. It is because of this that you must always try to keep them first and foremost in your thoughts before taking action.
2) Follow your Inner Wisdom ~ you can read, learn, and listen to thers about the path you want to take and the choice you want to make. But, at the end of the day, it is your own inner GPS that will be your best guide to making the choices that bring you the most happiness in the long run.
3) Find Time for Healthy Living~ our spirits go on forever, if we are lucky our minds will be astute to the end of this life but everyone’s body ages. There is no cure for that. It is the only home that we will be given and it should run as optimally as possible at all times and that means taking care of it.
4) Fouls happen~ fouls against us and fouls we make and just the simple fouls of life. But, understanding mis-takes and making up for them and forgiving those that have fouled against us, and accepting those fouls we can never really understand will serve us well at the end of the day. Our hearts will be lighter and we will be better able to navigate forward into the Joy that we all so deserve.
5) Finish each day ~ with gratitude and love –for your family and self. Before putting your head to the pillow, each night, we should look to what we are grateful for and tell the people who we love and who love us that we love them ~ and that includes telling yourself.
If you are receiving this e-newsletter, you have been in my life in one shape or another. A family member, a friend, a client or aquaintenace or perhaps someone who is interested in what I do and offer but don’t know yet. Know that, whoever you are, I am most grateful for being in your life and having you in mine.
You may know that the following quote was on the wall of my college dorm room. And, since then, I have done much work to achieve this. Work that will continue over the next decades, no doubt. I can only hope that your own Listening has allowed you the same Joy & happiness that I have had over the last 50 years.