It’s Valentine’s Week again and it’s time to focus on appreciation ~ of YOU! What does that mean to you? No, really. What DOES that mean to YOU? Sit still for a minute and really see what it means to you. What color comes up? What images come to your mind? What are you thinking? What are you FEELING? When we take a moment to sink into the feeling of Valentine’s Day, it can bring up so very much. NOW, I’ll make it a little harder for you! When you think of Valentine’s Day and appreciating yourself what does it mean? How do you love yourself?
How you approach that question can be how you approach everything about yourself. At a time when we can bring so much doubt, fear and ‘less-than’ to ourselves through our thoughts, Valentine’s day can be a heavy hitter for our self-esteem. “I’m not pretty enough. I’m not skinny enough. I don’t make enough. I don’t have enough time. I’m not loved enough. Yada. Yada. Yada.” See the word that eminates through that? Enough.
ENOUGH Already!! You are enough! Certainly, you can improve. Who can’t? There is a big difference between taking steps to improve yourself and sitting in a space of self-doubt and lack of self-esteem! It’s time to take back Valentine’s Day and make it about your best friend. Make it about the person who you spend the most time with. Make it about the one who cares most about you: Your Soul.
This week, love yourself enough to hear the whisper’s of your inner wisdom and rejoice in all that you ARE. Your soul knows the truth. It’s time to be kind to it and loving. So here are some suggestions on how to appreciate yourself. Some are quick and easy. Some not so much!
1) Send yourself some flowers (Or at least go buy them for yourself!) Read why HERE!!!
2) Send yourself a Valentine. Go pick out the one that you WANT to receive. Write a quick note. Pop it in the mail (Yes, Snail Mail, Remember that?) and relish in receiving it!
3) Take yourself out to dinner. Dress up and go out. Alone. Spend time with yourself and in-joy the solitude and the quiet space for self-reflection.
4) Buy yourself chocolate. (My personal favorite of the list!)
5) Write yourself a love letter. This may be hard but try it. You might be surprised by what comes up. If you are not inclined to write, doodle a note to yourself! It will be a work of art your soul will appreciate.
There was a time when I would sit around and wonder when someone would do this for me. It was a place of self-pity. (An ugly place) But, Once I discovered how to do it for myself, others followed suit in showing their appreciation! What else can you do that shows YOU how much you ARE loved? How else can you show yourself some appreciation?