When you open a new journal, all those blank pages looking up at you can be daunting. I know. I’ve been there before. The crisp, neat, clean sheets used to mimic me as if to say “Go ahead, write on me, I dare you, your words, they have no wisdom.” Once you’ve caught the journaling bug and you know all the amazing benefits it can give you, those blank pages are an invitation to understanding yourself better, gaining new insights and hearing the sweet whispers of your own inner knowing.
1) When you pick up your pen, put your Perfectionism Down! Don’t think that you have to have beautiful penmanship or that you can’t cross out words or even doodle in the middle of an entry. It’s allowing your own personality ~ your handwriting and words ~ to embrace the pages that will allow creative expression happen.
2) Set a timer. Start with just 5 or 10 minutes a session. Let’s face it….do you really have the time to spend hours writing? And, you do not have to write for hours to gain simple and sacred insights!
3) Allow entries to be incomplete once the timer goes off, finish your sentence and allow the entry to be incomplete. You can always come back to it tomorrow or maybe, it’s incompleteness is actually genius in disguise!!!
4) Ask for Guidance. However, you ask, prayer, affirmations, meditation, take a moment before putting pen to the paper and ask that you may receive support and guidance in your writing for sacred wisdom.
5) Consider using “I” prompts When beginning to journal, use “I” prompts such as ” I am…”; “I feel…” “I think…” and my personal favorite “I wonder…”
6) Keep Starting Simple Don’t try to solve one long-time problem in a short entry. When you start a journal, keep topics simple. You will discover soon enough how answers will come to you when you adopt this attitude.
7) Go with the flow. You may start an entry with a topic in mind but find you are distracted toward another one. Go with the Flow. That’s your inner voice trying to lead the way. Trust it! The discovery will be so worth it!
It will become a treasured way spiritual awakening tool that will allow you to hear the whispers of your soul and guide you toward greater joy and abundance in your life.
Interested in knowing more??? Consider joining me for my Sacred Soul Journaling Workshop in August~ with so much information and awe-mazing bonuses!
If you are a seasoned journaler, what other tips do you have? If you are new to journaling, which of these steps are you going to use first? Let me know in the comments below, I’d love to hear from you!